How to make a shell necklace? Shells can be used to make beautiful necklaces. They can record the good times you spend on the beach. You can also give them as a gift to your friends. It can even be sold at handicraft fairs or on the market.
Because there are many different kinds of shells. So each necklace is unique. It has a personal touch. To avoid negative impacts on the environment and marine life. Never use an enclosure that still has a creature inside. Remove the empty shell only from the beach. For collection or jewelry making.
How to make a shell necklace step by step?
First, the production steps of ordinary shell necklace?
1: Select the shell to use.
You can choose the enclosure based on a variety of factors. Includes type, shape, size, color or pattern. The choice of shell and necklace style is a matter of personal preference. Before drilling holes in the shell. Arrange them on a flat surface. This can be a better match with the necklace.
- How to make a pendant necklace? Choose a medium shell with interesting shapes or colors. You can also decorate the pendant necklace with smaller shells. But make sure they are designed with the center. Colors and shapes match or complement each other.
- Another option is to create a large item with many medium shells. They can be evenly distributed on the rope. They can also be brought together at the bottom.
2. Choose the ornament of the shell necklace.
- Although the focus of the necklace is the shell. But that doesn’t mean you can’t use other decorations. For example, beads, flowers, stones and other jewels to decorate it.
- Choose decorations that complement the size, shape and color of the shell. Make sure the decoration matches the necklace line you are using.
3. Select a line to make a necklace.
You can use many types of ropes. The style depends on the look you want to use.
- Make a piece of art. Please choose a gold or silver metal chain.
- For more quaint jewels. You may wish to consider using twine or linen thread.
- For durable and versatile necklaces. Try a jewelry line or nylon line.
4. Prepare tools and supplies.
You need to prepare a drill with 16 inches. As well as jewelry finds and needle-nose pliers.
- If there is no drill bit. You can use nails, screws or hammers to make holes.
- The jewellery you may need includes a jumper to attach the shell to the rope. And buckle mechanism for closing the necklace. If you use rope. These are all optional. Because you can choose to wind the rope and tie the necklace.
- Use metal necklace chains. You may not have to worry about the buckle. Because the buckle is already installed.
5. Drill a hole in each shell.
To connect your shells to the line. You need to create a hole in each shell. Use a marker or pencil to mark where on the shell you want to connect to the line.
- If there is no drill? Use a hammer to lightly tap the head of the screw or nail on the housing. To make an initial hole. Once you have a small hole, turn the nail head or tighten back and forth in the hole. Until it’s big enough to accommodate loops or twine.
- Rest the shell on a flat surface. Then lightly drill a small hole in the shell. Started drilling inside. And find the loop.
6. Each case is connected to a jump ring.
Loop skipping is optional. It helps your case hang on the wires. Pull the jump ring apart with pliers first. Use the ring to pass through the hole in the housing. Then use pliers to close it.
Repeat this step for the shells you want to attach. For fun. You can hang many shells, pendants and beads on each jump ring.
7. Fasten the necklace.
To make pendant necklaces or necklaces with special decorations. Please fasten the rope to this shell first. Then, use other decorations, such as beads and jewelry. Decorate the remaining lines in any way. Or, you can leave the remaining lines blank. This will focus on decorations.
- Although the necklace need not be symmetrical. But balance should also be maintained. For example, do not match the large shell on one side with the large shell on the other. Instead, consider balancing a large shell with two or three small shell.
8. Close the necklace.
Choose a good necklace line. Examples are necklaces made of twine, rope or nylon. You can tie the two ends together as needed. Otherwise, you can complete the necklace by adding a clasp.
- Crimp once on each end of the necklace. Then fasten the ends.
- Wind the excess wire back to the crimp. Tighten it and bring the retaining ring into contact with the crimp. And firmly cling to the final bead or shell. When crimping metal crimping pliers into place with pliers. Please continue to hold the excess thread firmly.
- Use scissors or pliers to cut off excess threads.
How to make a double shell necklace?
1: Select a metal chain.
For this project, look for a double necklace. A necklace with two rows of chains near the buckle. Make sure there is at least one to two inches of space between the upper and lower chains.
- Metal can be silver or gold. This will be more beautiful. Then choose some accessories that will decorate your shell.
2. Select your shell.
For this project. You need to choose 10 small shells of roughly the same shape. Three medium-sized shells and one medium-sized conical shell. Colors and shell styles depend on personal preference.
- step2. Select your shell. For this project. You need to choose 10 small shells of roughly the same shape. Three medium-sized shells and one medium-sized conical shell. Colors and shell styles depend on personal preference.
- 10 smaller shells are distributed around the focus shell.
3. Prepare the materials.
Except for chains and shells. You also need the 24-gauge jewelry wire. As well as pliers, wire cutters, electric drills and 12 jumpers.
4. Prepare the shells.
Drop the conical shell. For the other 13 shells. Drill holes where you want them to connect to the necklace. Use a marker or pencil to mark each shell to be connected to the wire. Then lean the shell against a flat surface. And lightly press the small hole in the shell. Complete the following steps to prepare the shell:
- Use a pair of pliers to attach the jumper to the 10 smaller housings. Do not close the jump ring.
- Use three middle shells and place them all on a single jump ring. But don’t close the jump ring.
5. Wrap the conical housing.
Wrap the tapered case with wire. Then connect it to the necklace with wire instead of a jump ring. First, cut a 24-gauge wire six times the length of the conical shell.
- Hold the thread with your index finger and thumb. And center it. Wrap the wire around the tip of your index finger. Then twist the two parts together three times. To form a small circle in the center of the wire.
- Spread the ends of both wires outward. Then place the middle of the thick tip of the conical shell at the twist.
- Start winding two wires around the enclosure at an angle. Forms stripes like candy bars. Wrap the entire case all the way to the tip. Wrap the wires three more times to secure them in place.
- Separate the remaining wire ends. Use pliers to grasp the tip of a wire. Then fold it back. Then grab the folded end and roll it back again. Continue doing this until you reach the turn. There are no more wires to wind. The extra wire should look like a spiral. Repeat for the other wire.
6. Connection shells
Start with a conical shell. Attach the jump ring to the wire loop you created. Then attach it to a single chain in the center of the necklace’s lower chain. Use pliers to close the jump ring. Then remove the three middle shells and place them in the center of the winding chain. Insert the jumper into a single link and close it.
- Repeat 10 small shells. On the lower chain, connect the three small shells to the chains on either side of the conical shell.
- On both sides, place the first shell 2 inches from the center. The next shell is then placed another 2 inches from the shell.
- Place the third enclosure at another 2 inches. Repeat the above chain, using only two shells on each side of the center shell.
How to get, clean and preserve the shell?
1. How to get shells.
Shells can be collected on the beach. It can also be purchased at a craft store. Or you can use artificial or artificial shells. Although artificial shells may not have natural appeal. But they are more protective of the environment.
- Shells play an important role in coastal ecosystems. It also provides homes for algae, birds and hermit crabs. Removing shells from the beach can affect the organisms that depend on them.
- If you want to collect your own shells. Only a few shells can be taken from each beach. Don’t take shells from inaccessible beaches. Because other people often collect shells here. Every shell must be checked. To make sure it is not a hermit crab house.
- Shells are also a by-product of fisheries. You can also buy shells from these manufacturers. Because these shells have less impact than shells purchased from the beach.
2. How to clean the shell?
Shells collected from the beach need to be cleaned. This will remove dirt, particles, odors and bacteria. The most common way to clean shells is to soak them in bleach and water solution:
- Fill a bowl with one part of bleach and three portions of water. Soak the shells for any time between 30 minutes and 24 hours. Until the leather cover, called the periosteum, comes off.
- After cleaning the case, wipe it with a soft cloth or soft toothbrush. Then rinse with water.
- Let the Shells dry.
3. How to save the shell?
In fact, you don’t need to do anything to keep the shells. But if you want to enhance the gloss of the protective shell. Can be polished with mineral oil. Use a lint-free cloth to wipe a small amount of mineral oil on each case. Then lightly sand the inside and outside.
- Since you will use these shells as jewelry. So another option is to protect them with a layer of satin polyurethane varnish. Apply a clear coat of paint to the inside and outside of the case with a clean brush. Let the varnish dry completely. It’s that simple!
How to make a puka shell necklace?
In the design of personal accessories. The Puka shell necklace has always been regarded as a symbol of casual beach style. You can make various puka shell necklaces according to your design. Now, the next section will give you some tips on how to make puka shell necklaces.
Puka shells are casual; they are bead-like objects that occur naturally. You can design a puka shell necklace with shells. The puka shell is cute. You can make a necklace that suits your personal style. Here I will show you the brief steps to make a beautiful puka shell necklace.
- The first things you should prepare are: beaded wire, wire cutters, crimping beads, and crimping pliers.
- Puka shell chip beads and puka shell pendants. The first step is to use a beaded wire cutter to cut enough threads to make a necklace. Make sure the bead wire is long enough. Then, through the hole in the jump ring, you can insert the beaded thread.
- Then attach the puka case to the necklace. Remember that the first few puka shells should extend beyond the two strands of wire coming out of the crimped bead.
- Continue adding puka shells to the necklace.
- Finally, you can pass the jump ring to the center of the necklace. If necessary, you can continue to add puka shell beads within 3 inches of the end of the bead line. Then complete a perfect puka shell necklace.
You can then wear and show off the puka shell necklace to your friends. Hope these tips I mentioned above can help you make your own puka shell necklace.
Best, with a video on how to make a shell necklace：
Relative Article: How to make a paracord necklace (with buckle)?